Tuesday, August 31, 2004

CZAR

The island got a 'Population Czar' yesterday. Aside from my loathing of using the word 'czar' for government positions, I don't really care.

Falling birth rates are mostly just a by-product of increased economic security, and they tend to be the rule in every post-industrial country. It's not something the appointment of a 'Czar' will solve. As I don't see myself becoming a permanent resident, and thus will never be a candidate for the S$10,000 bonus for a third child (which only someone with no math skills would consider a real incentive), I have absolutely no horse in this race.

As long as this doesn't result in higher taxes, I can probably deal with the impending plethora of really bad public service announcements.

Though Andrea of Serialdeviant sees a potential upside...
In my mind’s eye, I see the government changing its stance toward pornography: like chewing gum, it can only be dispensed to those bearing a prescription.
(Child’s excuse when caught checking out porn: “I’m only preparing for the day I’m called to serve my duty as a loyal Singapore citizen, honest!")

Powered by Blogger